Saturday 14 March 2009

Getting to the clutch of the matter.....

Another Saturday and another few jobs out the way.

Ground back the rest of the sump to allow clearance for the starter motor. Unfortunately I noticed that the Pinto starter motor will not fit easily..... the ring gear on the Zetec is closer to the engine than on the Pinto, meaning the motor gear will be in constant mesh with the ring gear...not good. Two options....a 14mm spacer puts the motor far enough out to work properly, or a starter from a CVH Sierra.... a Lucas LRS707 apparantly. The spacer sounds like a temporary fix whilst I am on the look out for a CVH starter.


I moved on to finishing the engine mounts properly. To make them easier to fit I welded nuts on to the back where the original mounts bolt on....means I can leave the adaptor plates in place and just add the mounts. Also cut the off side one down to a sensible size.


As the alternator bracket was made from a scrap of 6mm plate, I decided to weld the part the alternator mounts on to a new piece of steel. All was going well until I welded it on back to front...doh! A quick mod of the mount got over the problem, but for some reason the alternator now does not appear to be perfectly in line. The belt takes up the difference, but still annoying.


Alternator bracket from below....



I then moved on to finishing off the water rail....made a bracket with for the top bolt to go through, and also did a static water test on it and found a couple of leaks.


Finally, I put on the clutch. First I had to insert the small bearing which takes up the difference between the input shaft of the gearbox and the centre of the flywheel.


It was a bit reluctant to go in, and I may need to put it in further than it is, but will test fit it to the box first. After that I put on the clutch - Pinto friction plate with Zetec pressure plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment