Sunday 29 March 2009

Dark times in the workshop

Not gone well this weekend. Got the engine in with clutch fitted, etc. That was the high point. Offered up the Great British Sportscars exhaust and one tube of the manifold doesn't pass the chassis - hoisting the engine up it needs to be moved up nearly an inch to clear the chassis, but then the engine would be hitting the bonnet.... I experimented with spacers under the engine mounts to tilt the engine but it meant it was close to the bulkhead near to the brakes. I will be speaking to them tomorrow and will post the outcome.

So moved onto the inlet manifold. It was still very tight to the master cylinder, but thought I could get away with it. But once I had welded on the first tube it quickly became clear it wasn't going to happen.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion a lot of problems will be solved if I move the engine forward by about 60mm. This will mean a space at the back of the head for the original thermostat, and the inlet manifold will be able to have a straight run. This will of course have an impact on the drivetrain - longer propshaft, gearlever extension, etc....

Problem is Stoneleigh is only 5 weeks away.....and I really want to take the car....

I have started drawing up a proper project plan.....if I could stick to it would be completed just after Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment