Monday 23 February 2009

Engine in....almost...

Some good progress again over the weekend. Purchased some 6mm steel plate from a local fabricators for £12 + VAT to make mount adaptors. First event of the weekend was managing to set light to my overalls whilst cutting the plate up! Thought my leg was getting warm, then I noticed the flames....


Inlet side was quite straightforward, but I could of done with starting the holes a bit higher in the plate, as it would of covered the whole of where the mount attaches to the plate. But with some trimming of the top of the mount it looks like it will be fine.

The nearside mount was more of a challenge. Originally I was going to use two bolt holes in the engine and two in the sump, as there is a lump of metal that sticks out of the engine restricting using the two holes further forward. But on closer inspection I realised these were likely to mean the mount & plate would get in the way of the started motor, so I took the bull by the horns and cut the metal lump off, and cut a new piece of metal to fit the new bolt locations. The piece was cut off from just to the left of the two studded holes, just below where the dipstick goes into the crankcase

I also had to trim a little of the crankcase vent mount to allow the plate to sit flat, and it needs 8mm thick spacers to bring the front holes in line with the back two. Also the holes were quite badly rusted so I had to get the tap and die set out to clean them out.

Anyway....measured up the changes to the location of where the mount rests on the mounting rubber unit compared to the Pinto, and redrilled the holes in the chassis to suit - slightly forward and further out compared to the original holes. Whilst drilling I noticed the original holes set the engine slightly to the nearside of the car - I think this is to allow for a wider drivers footwell.

So all holes drilled, I lowered the engine into the engine bay, bolted it up to the gearbox, then discovered there was a stud left at the back of the head.....which rested against the chassis preventing the engine moving across onto its mounts. And the stud would only come out if I removed the engine..... So at that point I threw in the towel and decided to have another go another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment