Monday 27 April 2009

The end is nigh

Again I apoloogise for the lack of posts....I did go away on holiday for a week!

Well I have good progress to report.

Engine is back in on fully welded mounts - made from 6mm steel. I orginally used tube to connect the engine plate to the base plate, but this caused problems with getting the nut onto the mount. I got a local fabrication company to weld these up for me.

The coolant pipes are now complete. I used the swaged ends off a spare metal pipe from the Mondeo to make a blank for the heater pipe and the spur which goes into the water pump pipe and acts as a bypass for before the thermostat opens.

The GBS manifold had to be modified on the final bend as it did not exit at the correct angle to allow the silencer to fit. It is all now fitted with the silencer mounted on a modified Pinto exhaust bracket (call it recycling!)

Whilst on holiday I purchased another set of carbs - this time from a Kwaka ZRX1100. These sit more vertical than the ZX6 carbs and I have made a manifold to fit - the second version infact as the first was slightly too long and the carbs touched the brake master cylinder.

I removed all the rear panels and I have made a bracket to mount the fuel pump under the boot floor. Just needs wiring up.

Once I got all the main bits back in tonight I decided just to see if the engine would at least turnover - and it did! All I need now is an ignition system!

No comments:

Post a Comment